In the Media

Dermot Shea's Rocky First Year as NYPD Commissioner

12/08/2020
Gotham Gazette

This past Wednesday, December 2, marked one year since Dermot Shea was sworn in as the 44th commissioner of the New York Police Department, the third commissioner to serve in the role under Mayor Bill de Blasio. Shea’s first year in the top-cop job has been tumultuous and punctuated with controversy; a trial by fire in unprecedented times, and he often came up short, as judged by critics on both his left and his right and those simply frustrated by police brutality and rising crime.

Family Sues NYPD for Wrongful Death after Shooting of Rockland Native

12/01/2020
Rockland County Times

On Tuesday, Nov. 24, the family of Antonio Williams’ held a virtual press conference calling for the firing of the NYPD officers who shot and killed the 27-year-old father and NYPD Officer Brian Mulkeen on Sept 29 2019.  The incident took place after plainclothes officers attempted to arrest Williams for unspecified reasons. Officer Mulkeen was a victim of friendly fire. Williams’ family announced that they have filed a lawsuit with the Bronx Supreme Court which alleges that the shooting “violated New York state law and the NYPD’s departmental regulations.”

NYPD Punched, Kicked, Fatally Shot This Black Man in 2019—and Still Won’t Say Why

11/24/2020
Daily Beast

Antonio Williams was waiting for a cab one night in 2019 when a slew of NYPD officers chased, kicked, and punched him in the head, before fatally shooting him and letting him bleed out for five minutes. And they still won’t reveal why they approached the 27-year-old in the first place, according to a lawsuit and new footage released by his family.

Family of man shot to death by police plan to take NYPD to court

11/24/2020
Bronx News12

The family of a man who was shot to death by police is planning to take the NYPD to court.

This comes after the family says new video doesn’t add up to what the department says.

Antonio Williams, 27, was killed last year during a confrontation with the NYPD that also led to the death of Officer Brian Mulkeen.

“He was funny, he pretty much brought joy to everyone when he came in. He was a jokester,” said Williams’ stepmother, Gladys Williams.

Video Footage Amps Up Outrage Over NYPD Killing of Queer Man in His Home

11/20/2020
Gay City

Bronx District Attorney Darcel Clark on Nov. 17 released police body camera and hallway surveillance footage showing the moment when NYPD officers entered a Black queer man’s apartment last year and shot him to death in a case that has fueled outrage.

Clark also unveiled a report outlining the incident more than a year and a half after 32-year-old Kawaski Trawick was gunned down by police on April 14, 2019, at Hill House, a supportive living environment at 1616 Grand Avenue in the Bronx.

Kawaski Trawick death: No criminality found in fatal police-involved shooting in New York City, officials say

11/17/2020
ABC News

MORRIS HEIGHTS, Bronx (WABC) -- An investigation into the police-involved shooting death of a man who authorities say was armed with a stick and knife found no criminality on the part of the responding officers.

Officials released the report on the investigation into the fatal shooting of 32-year-old Kawaski Trawick inside his apartment by a member of the New York City Police Department on April 14, 2019, as well as video of the shooting and the events leading up to it.

How 'defund the police' has taken shape across the country

11/12/2020
Local 21 News

WASHINGTON (SBG) - In the wake of nationwide calls to defund the police, government officials in several major U.S. cities have made significant cuts to their local police budgets, part of a sweeping police reform effort sparked by the death of George Floyd.

The movement to defund police departments began in Minneapolis shortly after Floyd's death in late May. Two months later, the Minneapolis City Council moved $1.1 million out of the police department's budget, according to MPR News.