Less than a week after Attorney General Jeff Sessions revealed his plan to levy tougher sentences for offenders, the American Civil Liberties Union’s (ACLU) Campaign for Smart Justice and the New York Civil Liberties Union are hosting a conversation focused on how America’s criminal justice system must change if it is to effectively serve all of the nation’s people.
Forward Justice: Real Talk on Changing Our Criminal Justice System is scheduled for tonight (May 17) at 7:00 p.m. EDT at the Brooklyn Museum. Supported by partners Color Of Change, Communities United for Police Reform and JustLeadershipUSA, you can watch a livestream above courtesy of VICE.
The event will include contributions from:
- Anna Julia Cooper Center director Melissa Harris-Perry
- Actor and ACLU Campaign for Smart Justice ambassador Michael K. Williams
- Journalist Touré
- Radio personality Ebro Darden
- ACLU Campaign for Smart Justice director Udi Ofer
- ACLU Campaign for Smart Justice’s William Cobb
- ACLU Trone Center for Justice and Equality director Jeffery Robinson
- Color of Change executive director Rashad Robinson*
- JustLeadershipUSA president Glenn Martin
- MomsRising diversity officer Monifa Bandele
- Formerly incarcerated advocate Darren Mack
- Mother of murdered child Dorothy Johnson Speight
- Scholito, artist and brother of person sentenced to life as a juvenile
Watch the full program above.
*Rashad Robinson is a former board member for Race Forward, Colorlines' publisher.